As we wanted to reduce the amount of meat that we eat we were searching a very long time for good recipes that feel like whole meals and not just like side dishes. One of our favorite completely vegan meals is Falafel. This recipe consists mostly of chickpeas and herbs which is extremely healthy and tasty.
We love to use the Falafel to stuff Pita, Lavash or Naan and combine this with vegetables, Feta cheese (not vegan) and salad. We recommend this dish especially if you have guests over as it is easy and quick to make and not so pricey. Maybe you will give it a try and find a new favorite recipe?
- 500 g Chickpeas dried
- 30 ml Water
- 40 g Flour
- 1 Onion
- 1 clove Garlic
- 1 bunch parsley
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 3 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Paprika Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- Oil (for frying – we use canola oil)
- Soak the chickpeas in water overnight (or at least 8h in advance).
- Peel the onion and garlic clove. Wash the parsely and remove.
- Remove the water from the chickpeas.
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until you have the texture you desire. We prefer a chunky texture.
- Let the dough rest for 30 minutes
- Form the dough with you hands into balls. You can decide the size you want.
- Preheat the oil. Make sure to use enough oil!
- Now fry the Falafel until the are golden and crispy on the outside.
- We suggest eating the Falafel with a Tzatziki and selfmade Pita and fresh vegetables.
Did you give this recipe a try? If so, we would love to get some feedback from you! Just comment below, we really would appreciate your opinion. And if you took some pictures, just tag us on Instagram.